Monday, November 21, 2011

Shatter Me review

I had the "luck" last week to have to sit through a 3 hour glucose test. I sat in a freezing cold waiting room, with no television, and dozens of irritating people streaming in and out throughout the morning. What got me through this incredibly boring experience? Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me. I was able to read it in one sitting, as I read faster than I have in a long time. I couldn't help's that exciting! 

The first in a new series, we're introduced to Juliette, a young girl, locked up in some sort of prison. We quickly learn that she hasn't had any physical contact with a person in almost a year. If she touches someone, they die. Uh...can we say, yikes? The new government has given her a choice: she either joins them as their weapon or she'll be killed. 

Juliette has to decide whether her life is worth torturing others for the Reestablishment's pleasure or if she'll fight against the regime. All this while attempting to deal with the horror of her condition...she can KILL people with a single touch. How does someone handle that fact?

This book hits readers on several different levels. There's the emotional aspect of what Juliette is going through with herself, the slight paranormal, the bits of romance, and then just the crazy fast pace the story moves at. The ending (no spoilers, promise), definitely has me wanting the next book, pronto! It was original and new, even in the midst of dozens of dystopian books released this year. A hard task to tackle at this point, I would imagine.

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi
342 pages
Young Adult
November 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

1 comment:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

So looking forward to this! Hope all is well with you.