Sunday, November 6, 2011

Stumbling into Grace review

Over the years that I've been using different devotionals on a daily basis, I've come to realize that those that tend to work best for me, in connecting me not only to Scripture, but to how those words work into my life, are the ones that are ultimately personal. Lisa Harper writes from her heart and interjects awesome amounts of humor into the stories of how she's stumbled in grace and learned Godly lessons along the way. That particular way of writing makes it real for me and I loved this book.
Broken up into short chapters, perfect for a daily devotional, the readers are given an often humorous story of how Harper went astray at some point, did something embarrassing, etc. and how God led her back to him. Included in the chapter is a section from the Bible on how part of Jesus' journey helps work her to work through, and ultimately learn from, her own mistakes. 

There's also discussion questions at the end of each chapter, great for group discussions or simply personal reflection, as I used them for. A prayer is also included and ideas for journal entries, if you're journaling.

This has been one of my favorite devotionals to use and I'll definitely be seeking out more books by Lisa Harper. I loved the funny parts, the serious parts, and the dedication to learning that she has seamlessly blended into the book. I learned a lot AND laughed a lot, while connecting with God. 


Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

Stumbling into Grace
Lisa Harper
224 pages
Christian Non-Fiction
Thomas Nelson
9780849946486
August 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

2 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Thanks for this review! I'll have to look into this one. I have a hard time finding devotionals I really like too, but this one looks good!

Erica said...

This book has about the most adorable cover ever! :)