Friday, December 9, 2011

Angelina's Bachelors review

When Angelina's husband dies unexpectedly, she is completely heartbroken and unsure of what to do with herself. Creating delicious food has always been Angelina's comfort and so she turns to cooking to put her sorrows into, making loads of yummy Italian food as she grieves. 

What is at first for her own healing eventually turns into a job for Angelina. Single men around the neighborhood, starting with her sweet, elderly neighbor, begin coming to her for meals, allowing her to work through losing her husband, make delectable dishes, and feed hungry bachelors at the same time. 

I was somewhat surprised with how much I enjoyed this book! From the title, I almost expected it to be a fluffy read without a whole lot of substance, but O'Reilly was able to capture Angelina's pure love for her husband and her devastation at his loss with a grace that made me really love her as a character. 

That being said, I was slightly disappointed with a rather predictable plot "twist" and found myself hoping the author wouldn't do what I thought he was going to do from the beginning. He did it, but it ended up ok. I was pleased with the overall story.

The recipes included sounded awesome, especially as I read the descriptions woven into the story, though I probably won't be attempting any of them at home. All sound incredibly challenging and for very experienced cooks, though they definitely are appealing! 

Not as light a novel as one would think. Grab your tissues and don't read on an empty stomach!

Angelina's Bachelors: A Novel with Food
Brian O'Reilly
384 pages
Adult Fiction
Gallery Books
August 2011
Library Copy


Sarah said...

Just requested it from the library! Sounds right up my alley.

Cozy in Texas said...

Thanks for the review. The cover wouldn't have enticed me neither would the title.