Friday, December 30, 2011

Favorite "Grown-Up" Books of 2011

Let's face it, publishing for YA this year was just not up to years past. I found myself putting more and more YA books down and picking up books written for adults, that ended up being absolutely delightful. For so many years it's been the other way around, but 2011 seemed to be the year of the "grown-up" book in my own reading. It was hard to limit all the books I loved this year, but these were my faves:

A Good American by Alex George (review to come in February)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey (review to come in January)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson


Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info said...

I actually picked up a couple of grown up books this year too. Like you I loved The Night Circus. The other one I read and really liked this year was Water For Elephants--I know it wasn't published this year, but I had heard so much about this book and wanted to read it. Both were a welcome relief to the YA blahs--I think I will have to read more adult books in 2012!

YA Yeah Yeah said...

I've found YA more enjoyable than adult stuff this year personally - although my favourite adult fiction, Chinaman by Shehan Karunatilaka was absolutely phenomenal. Cool list!