Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tuesdays at the Castle review

At Castle Glower, Tuesdays are the best days. Tuesdays are when the castle decides to add a new room, its occupants never knowing what will come. The castle definitely has a mind of its own, making for a very exciting life for Celie, the youngest of the three royal children, who loves her life at the castle and is really the only one who truly understand how it operates. 

When Celie's parents, the King and Queen of Castle Glower, go missing and are presumed dead, Celie has to use her skills with understanding the castles quirks to help save her home from invaders. Exciting and charming at the same time! 

It's been awhile since I've read a really good middle grade fantasy, but this latest one by Jessica Day George was delightful! I didn't read Dragon Slippers, though I know I'm missing out, so this was a complete surprise. The pacing was great, the characters realistic and enjoyable to follow, and the story was a whimsical adventure.

I would easily hand this to kids that aren't quite ready for Shannon Hale's "Books of Bayern" series, but really enjoy a good fantasy. The idea of a castle changing to suit the needs of its occupants is totally charming and the fact that it's kids basically running the kingdom after the disappearance of their parents will have readers hooked. I really enjoyed it!

Off to put a hold on Dragon Slippers...

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

Tuesdays at the Castle
Jessica Day George
240 pages
Middle Grade
Bloomsbury
9781599906447
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher




I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Sounds like great fun!

Charlotte said...

I really enjoyed it too--this is just about my favorite fictional castle ever!

Susan said...

This one sounds so fun! I can't wait to read it. I actually bought it for my 9 yo for Chrismtas, so I'm *trying* to keep myself away from it until she's had a chance to enjoy it. Good thing she reads fast :)