Monday, January 2, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012!

Despite having a crazy year, I did fairly well in 2011 book-wise, I think. I read 49 books less than I did in 2010, however, I also had an almost-full-time job (definitely full-time with hour+ commute each way), lots of traveling, and a baby on the way. Not to mention, delivering E. 2 months early, spending lots of time in the NICU, and now being on baby duty 24/7. 

I read a lot of good books, but definitely not a whole lot of GREAT books. I had a few standouts in different genres: Picture Books, Middle Grade, YA, and Adult. Still, nothing like The Book Thief level or anything (though John Green's The Fault in Our Stars came fairly close...review of that next week). 

Here are the "stats:"

Total books: 135 (does not include picture books or NF picture books)
Library books: 46
Review books:  89
Female authors: 111
Male authors: 24
Non-Fiction: 9
Audiobooks: 14

I definitely read a lot of review books, but don't be fooled...those don't ALL get sent to my house. Working in a small indie bookstore, reading ARCs is a part of the job, so a lot of my review copies came from there. 

After looking at the books I read, I did set a few goals for 2012, though I use that term loosely. The chances of my actually sticking with something are slim to none, considering my new busy life, but I'm really going to give it a shot.

1. Read more non-fiction. In 2010 I read a lot of non-fiction and with this year's count only coming in at less than 10 books, I definitely would like to up that.

2. Read more male authors. I'm one of those women drawn to women authors and what they write about. Can't help it. I would, however, like to at least double the amount of male authors I read this year. 

3. Continue my 2011 goal of reading quality over quantity. I'm fairly good at just putting a book down if it's not holding my attention, but I really want to not only keep that up, but not even bother picking up books that I know I'm just not going to really like. For example, continuing a series I'm not loving, just because I feel like I should finish the series off. This means I probably won't be reading the prequel to "The Maze Runner" series. Sorry James Dashner.

4. Re-read one of my own books per month. I have a ton of great books that need attention and I think one book a month is doable.

I also set a Goodreads goal to read 130 books, but I don't know that I'll reach that. It would be nice to read about the same amount as I did last year, but realistically, it probably won't be happening. I am, however, making it one of my personal goals to watch less television (again, quality over quantity), so hopefully that free time will be spent with my books. Sorry, Say Yes to the Dress/Amazing Race/XFactor...you've been deleted from the DVR schedule.

I think all of my goals are reachable. Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

1 comment:

reese said...

Hi, can i ask you something? I’m looking for children books with “scary” animal illustrations like Wolf (or fox) eating pigs (or seven kids or Red Riding hood or birds in Chicken Little) or being pictured with a fat stomach. Any sort of help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Great blog, by the way!