Saturday, January 14, 2012

Picture Book Saturday

It's been a long time since I've done a Picture Book Saturday post, but I'm hoping this means I'm back in the swing of things. Planning and scheduling posts with a newborn around has been a lot more difficult than I imagined, but we're all getting into somewhat of a routine, so with any luck, I'm back to regular Picture Book Saturday posting.

Here's my favorite from this week:

Homer the Library Cat by Reeve Lindbergh and illustrator Anne Wilsdorf

Fun, cozy illustrations help to tell the story of Homer, a cat that simply wants a quiet place to take a nap. He's used to his quiet house and the quiet woman he lives with, but one day everything is just noisy! He not only cannot find a quiet place to curl up and take a nap, but he cannot find the quiet lady either. Homer ends up going on quite the adventure trying to find the perfect quiet place and the perfect quiet person for his quiet personality. 

The rhymes flow perfectly, making this a really nice choice for a read aloud. Read it one on one with your child or to a small group at storytime. The illustrations are beautiful and contain just the right amount of silliness that they don't distract from the "quiet" mission. I think kids will get a kick out of all the different places Homer tries out before he finds the perfect one. I really liked it!

Homer the Library Cat
Reeve Lindbergh
32 pages
Picture Book
Candlewick Press
November 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I got this in at my library a few weeks ago. I like the illustrations!