Monday, January 16, 2012

Week in Review

What is it about having a baby that makes reading so hard? Oh...the diapers, feedings, changing clothes, spit-up, no sleep you say? Well, yes, I'm smack dab in the middle of all that and getting a chance to read is pretty difficult. And even when I do have a minute, lately I've been at the gym or organizing closets. Life has become incredibly domestic in the past couple of months, but we're definitely trying to get into a semi-routine.

Despite the craziness, I AM reading, just slowly. I finished a couple of books: The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Klinn and Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed and helped in my "quality over quantity" method of reading this year. I'm also in the middle of an audiobook, Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell and though it's super heavy, it's written really well. It's definitely a way to keep myself awake at 3am when I'm feeding Elliott. Pop in the earbuds and I listen without stimulating him.

This week I also reviewed Finding Somewhere by Joseph Monniger and The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar and gushed over John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, as well as started up my Picture Book Saturday feature again with a review of Homer the Library Cat by Reeve Lindbergh.

As for Elliott, he hasn't done much this week, except eat, sleep, and be cute. He has finally progressed into most of his newborn clothes and has started to love looking at black and white books. He stares at the pages with huge eyes until I turn the page. I'll admit, made me a little teary the first time he focused on that black and white fish! I'll be purchasing some others here pretty soon. 

Hope you all had a great week and are enjoying this holiday!

3 comments:

Tina's Blog said...

Yes, life with a baby makes reading much more difficult. I remember feeling guilty about my leisure reading when my oldest daughter was an infant, so I thought I would read aloud the books I was reading....I doubt she much enjoyed John Adams, and it made my reading so slow and tedious I just couldn't do it anymore. I have managed to figure out a schedule that works for me, but includes reading while on any exercise machine and keeping a book (or my kindle) in my purse for any free moment.

Ms. Yingling said...

Thanks for the heads up on Bitterblue. I have it on my list to purchase this summer for my school. My children were all incessant nursers, and I got a lot of reading done while they ate after the initial thrill of having a newborn around faded.Doesn't seem to have ruined any of them, and it kept me sane!

Lisa said...

Isn't it crazy? Before you have kids you think, "how can a newborn possibly make it hard to read?" and then weeks go by and you haven't read so much.