Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week in Review

This week flew by! Between appointments and hanging out with friends, I feel like the husband, the boy, and I haven't been home at all. We're finally home and relaxing with football on the tv. Not sure if that's a good thing, or not.

I had my 6 week postpartum appointment and have been cleared for exercise...good news, since I started going to the gym again like 2 weeks ago. Oops. Couch to 5K is going well so far, though I desperately need a recommendation for some new running shoes. I don't run outside (walk a lot), so it's really only treadmill running, but MAN do my knees hurt right now. Running with old shoes is a bad idea.

Elliott is doing great...gaining weight like crazy and acting like a real newborn. Screamed his head off after he scratched his precious little face the other night and nearly broke my heart. Does that ever go away? Hearing this boy cry just makes me so sad! Ooh and I think I forgot to mention last week that 1/15 was his due date, so he's officially born now! hehe  Developmentally, he's not really considered "on the charts" until his due date, so when he's 4 months old, he'll really be only 2 months old in terms of what milestones he's hitting. I'm SO anxious to get my first real smile!

Considering all the time I spent away from the house, it's no wonder I didn't get a whole lot of reading completed. I did finish Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala, which was fantastic. Review of that to come this week. I had to, sadly, give up on the audio I was listening to, Once Upon a River. The writing was beautiful and the story totally intriguing, but I had only listened to not even four discs and there had already been four descriptive sexual encounters. I'm no prude, but these just made me uncomfortable, being that the main character is only 15. After #4, I decided I was done. Bummer.

I started Survive by Alex Morel, which totally sucked me in after the first couple of pages and my small group started a new study, using The Hole in Our Gospel as a guide. I think it's going to be fairly eye-opening.

I reviewed Far From Here by Nicole Baart and am giving a copy away. Be sure to enter before 1/31!

I also featured Kelly from Stacked, with a guest post about books she's excited for in 2012, via their covers.

And that's it for me! Anything exciting happen to you this week?


Tina's Blog said...

I do most of my running on the treadmill, too, and am happy with my Brooks running shoes. I used to think I didn't need actual running shoes, but it does make a difference. I still pick out the cheapest pair of Brooks but that is the brand I am sticking with. I have very narrow feet, especially in the heel and these don't slip off.
Thanks for the reminder about your giveaway.

Mrs.Robertson said...

As to whether or not you ever stop breaking your heart when your "baby" cries... no. My son is 21 and I still hurt when he hurts.
There's a saying that having a baby means forever having your heart go walking around outside of your body, and it's SO true!
But... wouldn't change that for anything.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the tip, Tina! I know I land a bit hard when I run, so I definitely want something that will absorb that.

Ms. Yingling said...

I like the Asics Gel shoes- the older I get, the more expensive the ones I buy seem to be, but they have more padding. Good luck with the 5k. Also, I have 3 teenagers, and I'm not overly affected by their traumata. At some point, you have to let go. Not at 6 weeks, but it gets easier every day from now on!

Ali B said...

I read Once Upon a River about six months ago. I agree that there was a lot of rape and sex, but I didn't feel overly disturbed by the encounters. Maybe it has to do with reading versus listening to the story on tape. Of course, if that were true, I would have calmly made it to the end of Swamplandia instead of hurling the book across the room in a fit of "reader angst."

Question for you ~ Was Once Upon a River a YA title? Or do you occasionally blog about books for grown ups?

Amanda said...

Ali, this is definitely an adult title. I blog about all genres, from board books on up!