Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fever...falls a bit short of Wither

No need for a synopsis with this one...I think enough of you have read it to know what it's about! Just a quickie review.

Picking up right about where Wither left off, I was able to fall right back into Rhine's story and her flight with Gabriel. I found the portions of the plot taking place at the carnival exciting and up to par with the emotional level of Wither, but after that, I felt the rest of the book fell a bit short. The story felt choppy and rushed and almost as if the author had to force the plot along to get to book 3. I almost want to compare it to Mockingjay, where Katniss was constantly injured or in the hospital or sick. That was the entire book and Fever felt somewhat like that. Not a whole lot happening after the carnival.

Though Rhine is still a great character and I'm super intrigued by what will happen to her and the story, I was slightly disappointed in this middle book. I'm crossing my fingers that the third will rev things back up and I'll be flying through the pages like I was while reading Wither.

A quick note on the cover...I am SO not a fan. I loved the cover of Wither, but this one is just weird. I feel totally horrible for the cover model, wondering how long the photographer made her stay in that awful position and the styling just gave a strange vibe, rather than the subtle beauty that Wither's cover conveyed. We'll see what book 3 brings!

Lauren DeStefano
368 pages
Young Adult
Simon & Schuster
February 2012


Abby said...

I got this one at ALA, but it went straight into the hands of one of my teens - she had specifically asked me to look for it. I hope she likes it! :)

Beth S. said...

I didn't care for this one either. The whole time I was reading I felt like I was waiting for something to happen, only to find that something was on the very last page.

April (BooksandWine) said...

Awww, I am sorry you were disappointed by Wither. I liked it, but I felt jerked around a lot, with Gabriel in a drug haze from the Angel's Blood, or Rhine being sick. I was kind of waiting for something positive to happen, ya know?