Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Good American review

Since my husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day, I thought it would be appropriate to give some book love to one of my favorite reads of last year. I LOVED A Good American when I read an advanced copy last Fall and now that it's available to the masses, I'm telling you all to go out and grab a copy. You won't be disappointed! And what a great Valentine's gift to yourself right? Much better than the roses that will die in a week!

Alex George tells the story of a Frederick and Jette and their plight for a happy, successful family in the heartland of America. Surrounded by memorable characters, the pair's story is not a simple one, but wonderfully complicated and rich in detail, history, and love. Spanning generations, there's a lot of "stuff" going on, yet the heart of the story is intimate and familial. 

There's humor, heartbreak and sadness, lovely interactions between characters, a few fights, and the plot totally had me both laughing and tearing up multiple times. It's one I want to hand to men, women, and even older teens. 

I'm also drooling over that beautiful cover! Another winner from Amy Einhorn.

Go grab a copy from your local indie store...Happy Valentine's Day!

A Good American
Alex George
400 pages
Adult fiction
Amy Einhorn Books
9780399157592
February 2012
Review copy

2 comments:

Marg said...

I totally enjoyed this book as well!

irishoma said...

I just finished reading A Good American and enjoyed it as well.
Donna V.