Monday, February 6, 2012

Non-Fiction Monday: Feelings

I think well-written books on feelings are really hard to find. Lots of books on feelings out there, but those aimed at kids aren't always really for kids if you know what I mean. When A Little Book About Feelings and its accompanying activity book showed up,  I was a little apprehensive, because the television show wasn't one I had ever heard of, but it ended up being really adorable and totally appropriate for kids. 

The story was really basic, going over who has feelings, what they are,  and how it's ok to have all kinds of feelings. Loved the writing. I'm not in love with the pictures, but apparently they're of the show characters, so if the reader was familiar with the show, they would probably appreciate them more than I did. 

The activity book is great, filled with all sorts of stuff that encourages kids to express their feelings. It starts off with fill-in-the-blanks on the "author's" family and home and goes on to have activities on several different types of feelings that kids may have trouble identifying. Stickers, coloring pages, and other activities help them to express pride, shyness, frustration, etc. I think teachers and librarians would really appreciate having something like this available, as would parents. 

Again, not a huge fan of the photographs, but maybe if I saw Ruby's Studio, I would appreciate them more. 

A Little Book About Feelings
32 pages
The Mother Company
October 2011
Review copy 

1 comment:

Myra Garces-Bacsal from GatheringBooks said...

Hi Amanda, for some reason I also prefer illustrations over photographs. Thank you for sharing this book. :)