Friday, April 13, 2012

Fitness Friday

Hi friends! It's been awhile! Last week the husband and I embarked upon our first road trip to Upstate NY since having Elliott (success!), and I wasn't feeling up to sitting down and writing out a post the morning we arrived. We had driven overnight and I was exhausted! 

I knew my healthy eating was going to be a challenge while at my in-laws and I was definitely correct in that assumption. I'm totally fine with that. I've said from the beginning that I'm not going to be a crazy person in terms of eating only healthy stuff all the time and exercising like a maniac. It was a holiday weekend and I indulged in delicious chocolate, among others, though the chocolate was the most important part.

The husband and I did sneak off to the grocery store on Friday morning pick up a few healthier options for me to snack on throughout the weekend and for breakfasts, since I'm not a bacon and eggs every single day kind of person. Or really any day if we're being honest. I might have snarfed down half a bag of Cadbury Mini-Eggs on Sunday morning, all by myself...oh well. 

I also had a birthday this week, which didn't help matters. Dessert at lunch and then ice cream cake after dinner, along with some of my favorite dishes (mac and cheese) resulted in food overload. Back on track now though and happily so!

My sister-in-law is running a second round of a Biggest Loser type competition with some friends and coworkers in Chicago and she asked me to join. Though I know my weight is known to fluctuate, I figured it would be an excellent motivator to keep up with the healthy eating and the exercise, so I sent her my money and we're starting today. In 10 weeks, the person to lose the most weight gets 80% of the pot, 2nd place takes 20%. Even if I don't win any money, the competitor in me knows I'll keep it all up for the whole 10 weeks...definitely worth it to me! 

Keeping up with the walking, though the running has had to slow down. I have horrible shin splints and have no idea what to do about them. Probably going to order a new pair of shoes this weekend and hope that helps.

1 comment:

Tina's Blog said...

Amanda, I really enjoy your Fitness Friday posts. I also appreciate your realistic approach to being healthy. I have a few blogs I read where the women are running 10-15 miles a day a few times a week...while I think that's great, as a working mom of three kids, I just don't have the time to devote that much of my free time (what little there is) to being unavailable to my family. I do work out 4-5 times a week, but 45 minutes in the morning before work is really all the time I have. I love Jillian Michaels videos- I have been using The 30 Day Shred again...if you are looking for something different that really makes you feel like you've had a good workout within a minimal amount of time, I highly recommend this DVD. Good luck to you on your quest to get in shape...I will be anxiously awaiting your weekly posts.