Saturday, April 28, 2012

Picture Book Saturday

For now, while Elliott is still a little guy, I think I'm going to start doing these Picture Book Saturday posts once a month, focusing on our favorites. That may mean more than just 2-3 books in each post, but that way they're all in one place and I'm not trying to write out a new post every week. If you couldn't already tell, I've been totally slacking at it.

This month, these are the ones our whole family has really been enjoying:


The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems

We love us some Mo Willems in this house! Elliott seems to really enjoy the simple illustrations and Aaron and I love how ridiculously silly the stories are. This one made us both laugh out loud! That darn pigeon is just too cute. 



Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman and illustrator Dan Yaccarino

I'm not much into robots myself, but my nerdy husband loves them and I have a feeling, with a little boy in the house, I just may be seeing them around a lot. This book was great...filled with bright illustrations and a nice message about friendship and helping each other out. The amount of text was perfect--not too much and not too little-- and the adorably nerdy appearance of the little boy had me chuckling. I loved it!


Baby Bear Sees Blue by Ashley Wolf

One of the more unique color-concept books I've seen, this one is not only a lovely read, great for bedtime or just one-on-one time with your little ones, it's beautifully illustrated. Parents could do so many things with this one, spawning projects, guessing colors, etc. or just use it as a nice way to introduce the colors, as I am with E. I'll be using this as a baby shower gift in the near future!

The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton

Obviously, this is an old book. I enjoyed it during MY childhood and now I'm hoping Elliott will enjoy it too. It's been around for 70 years! This copy includes a cd to read along with, one track with page turn signals and one track without, as well as a bonus track of a reading of Maybelle the Cable Car. Aaron thinks the story is too long, but I love it! Such a sweet story and completely relevant for our family, watching the D.C. Metro area continue to sprawl.

All books were review copies sent by the publisher.




3 comments:

Linda said...

This made me think of some of the books my children loved! I managed to find some of them on eBay a few years ago, and purchased them for the grandchildren. And, we have found new favorites also - but I still think my very favorite, all-time, children's book is "Never Tease a Weasel". If you have not read it, let me know and I will bring it up when I come next time to read to Elliott. Hugs to all...

Corey Schwartz said...

Hi Amanda,

I haven't visited your blog in ages, but I think about you a lot and I am SO happy to hear that you have a little boy in the house!

Amanda said...

Linda, for as much time as I've spent with picture books, that's not one I've come across! We'd love to see it.

Coret, so glad you've stopped back! Sir Elliott (as he's known around here) is 5 months old and doing great. Thanks!