Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thoughts on Lone Wolf and Jodi Picoult

If you had asked me a few years ago to name my favorite adult author, I'd have a hard time doing so, but I probably would answer with Jodi Picoult. I've read her books since she was first published and, in my opinion, her work just kept getting better and better. I loved them and recommended them all the time. Then, I don't know if my reading tastes changed, if I became more picky, or if I just grew out of her, but the last three books I've read of Picoult's have just left me unimpressed and a bit sad. Sad to lose a love of an author's books and sad that I can no longer seem to rave about her. 

Lone Wolf wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything remarkable. It also wasn't anything new. There was a hot-button issue introduced, the story is told from multiple points of view, it included a court battle, etc. It seems like the same story is being told in every book, it's only the topic that's different. We've seen cancer, school shootings, gay rights, child abuse, etc., but it's told in the exact same way. I'm bored, Jodi and I don't want to be! I like you!

I actually liked the story in this latest book...I read all the way to the end, which is quite remarkable for me these days, and some of her writing is still incredibly beautiful and caused me to stop and think before moving on to the next sentence or chapter. I learned a lot about wolves and their habits that I never would have known if I hadn't picked this up. That being said, I was still left unsatisfied and really didn't care how the story ended. I wasn't invested in any of the characters, because I felt I had read them SO many times before.

If you haven't read a lot of Picoult, pick this one up and see what you think. And if you've read a lot of her, but still love her, definitely give it a go. If you're bored like me, cross your fingers that next year's book will be new and exciting. 

Lone Wolf
Jodi Picoult
432 pages
Adult fiction
Atria
9781439102749
March 2012
Library copy

4 comments:

Tina's Blog said...

I've sort of had that attitude about her last three or four books. Not to be picky, but I am tired of the alternating narrator form (even though she does it well). I also feel like she tries to cram as many issues into each book as possible. Maybe her next book will be something new and amazing.

Sarah said...

That's exactly why I stopped reading Picoult a few years ago even. Every book was starting to read exactly the same. It's become almost formulaic even though I know she does research to make her books the best they can be.

BookBelle said...

I had the same opinion. I want to love her, yet each book just seems less impressive. It's almost like she's now writing because she has to rather than she gets to. I don't think I'm finished but I definitely want something different next time.

Linda said...

I have loved Jodi Picoult's books also...some of them have been very difficult to read, but the early ones were riveting...I haven't read any of the latest ones, after My Sister's Keeper. Thanks for the review! Following you now!