Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Your kids need this book!

I was TERRIBLE at math in school. Great at everything else, but I had to work incredibly hard to just pass math classes, starting in elementary school. I was never given a book like this that shows that math can be fun and practicing those problems doesn't necessarily have to be a bore. I don't typically push books like this, but I know how frustrating it is to just not get the math kids are taught and I think this book is brilliant.

As you can tell from the title, The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math, excitement is infused into math problems for middle schoolers. Each problem is accompanied by an activity to help solve, as well as a lengthy explanation by the author. The reader is also given advice as to how to solve the problem simply, without over-complicating it and then the solution is given, step-by-step. I always made the problems more difficult than they had to be, so I think this really would have helped my middle school self. 

There are illustrations, crazy stories, and a lot of fun included with the math. Fractions, geometry, algebra and more are covered and there are 24 hands-on activities.  The reader HAS to solve the problems...his life depends on it.

For those of you that live in the D.C. Metro area, like me, the author, Sean Connolly, will be at the U.S. Science and Engineering Festival on Saturday (4/28) with an on-stage demonstration from 12:45-1:30. It would be super cool to bring your kids to this event!

The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math
Sean Connolly
242 pages
Non-Fiction
Workman Publishing
9780761163749
April 2012
Review copy

1 comment:

Debi said...

Oh Amanda, thank you!!! I'd never heard of this book, but it sounds perfect for my middle guy. He's actually quite good at math but he professed to hate it. Maybe this can make it a bit more fun for him! :)