Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Audiobook Week: The essentials of reviewing

Day 2 of Audiobook Week over here! Head over Devourer of Books to check out the schedule for the rest of the week or to add your participation link. Prizes are being awarded! 



Discuss the essentials of audiobook reviewing. What do you make sure to include? What do you want to see when you read other people’s reviews?


My method of reviewing audiobooks is pretty similar to how I approach all of my reviews. I make sure to include a short plot summary, usually in my own words unless I'm really pressed for time and want to get something up, followed by my thoughts on the story/characters/setting/etc. The only "special" care I take with an audiobook review is to make sure I comment on the narrator. 

When I read audiobook reviews, I want to know how the narrator did. Was he/she animated, convincing of the characters, etc. Did he/she change voices for different characters and pull it off well? Was there a full cast (my favorite)? Any little quirks that got annoying? Like, if I can hear the narrator swallowing at any time, I immediately turn off the book. Ew.

It's definitely not complicated to review audiobooks, but it's definitely a little more involved than a print book review would be.

 

2 comments:

Jen (Devourer of Books) said...

Ugh, mouth noises drive me CRAZY. I'm so attuned to them now that I have trouble listening to interviews on NPR, because the people being interviewed often make them.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Full cast are my favorite too. I wish more were full cast.