Friday, June 8, 2012

Fitness Friday: Reaching Goals

I ran a 5K. I RAN A 5K!!!!!  One of my biggest goals has been to become a "runner." I've always wanted to, but would quit when it got too difficult. This time, I didn't quit...I'm sticking with it and it's paying off. I ran 3.2 miles in 33:30. Not the greatest time in the world and yes, I had to stop a couple of times towards the end and walk, but I never gave myself more than 10 seconds to breath and walk, and I finished what I set out to do. 

I walked in the house, collapsed in a chair, and started crying. This made Aaron start hysterically laughing, so I'm sure it was quite the scene. I just never thought I could do it and I did! YAY ME!

Tonight, I'm heading to a friend's to use their treadmill, to test myself out on there. I've always had better times/longer runs when using treadmills vs. facing the elements/hills/etc. outside and I want to see how quickly I could do a 5K on a machine. I'll report back! 

(Image taken from Pinterest)


Tina's Blog said...

I never really ran until after I had my first baby. We bought a treadmill with the idea that I would walk on it, but eventually I started running and after the second baby even ran a half marathon. I enjoy treadmill running more than outside because of things like hills, wind, etc. and I have even been able to teach myself how to read on the treadmill. That really helps me kill time on there and makes running enjoyable. The friends I have made since having kids refer to me as a runner, which makes me laugh because I really don't think of myself as a runner. Good luck with your treadmill run. And yay for you!

Linda said...


Becky said...

I too prefer to run on treadmills vs. running outside- especially now that it is so hot (even at 9:00 at night). I need to get better at running on mine though. I have been slipping a lot lately. I recently read a book that is motivating me into getting back on the wagon... "Get Well & Stay Well" by Steve Amoils, M.D. & Sandi Amoils, M.D.. It has taught me a lot about the importance of health and the reasons for staying in good shape. Back to the treadmill I go.