Saturday, June 9, 2012

Picture Book Saturday

Remember how, awhile ago, I mentioned doing Picture Book Saturday posts once a month, rather than each week, and how I might have more than just 2 or 3 books to share? Uh...well...welcome to the book explosion. Elliott and I have been reading up a storm (prepping for his first Summer Reading Program, of course) and I have a ton to share with you this week. 

I'm keeping it short on synopsis and simply giving you my thoughts on the book as a whole. First up, 4 board books and a picture book that he's loving:

Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson and illustrator Jane Chapman

I think E likes this one, because I obviously love it so much. I read it with extra enthusiasm! That darn bear is just too cute and I really love the rhyming flow....makes it so easy to read. An excellent friendship/sharing/taking care of each other message too and with that and the great rhymes, it's a really nice storytime book, as well. Not just for babies! All of the books are adorable and I'm so glad they started publishing them in board book form.

Are You a Cow? by Sandra Boynton

Her books are always a hit and this one, though it ends a bit abruptly, has great in-your-face illustrations that Elliott seems impressed with. It's super silly, so we go through all sorts of faces while reading and typically get a few giggles out of him. I think our favorite is still The Belly Button Book, but this was cute too. 

Zooborns by Andrew Bleiman and Chris Eastland

Baby animals! Cute, adorable, huggable baby animals! Who could possibly resist this book??? I loved the full-size version when it came out last year and gave it to several toddlers as gifts. The up-close photos are perfect for babies and Elliott likes to quietly page through this one. He loves to stare at the ocelot, but I'm partial to the pygmy hippo. 

Hippopposites by Janik Coat

I have to admit, when I first saw this one, I wasn't impressed. I mean, it looks kinda strange, right? Well, Elliott LOVES it. So much for thinking I knew what kids would like. He loves to look at each page with a single hippo in one color, doing nothing. And then I started to's so simple, it's genius! I do think some of the opposite concepts are way above the head of toddlers (opaque/transparent, positive/negative), but that almost makes it funny for the adult reading it. This has been a huge hit in our house!

I Love My Daddy by Giles Andreae and illustrator Emma Dodd

A super simple, very sweet book about all the things fathers do for their children. Told from a toddler's point of view, I couldn't help but smile as I read this one aloud. Elliott's dad definitely does all of these things and I can't wait for E to think he's the coolest guy around. 

I love Dodd's illustrations with her mix of textures. Gives the book a touch of whimsy!

Finally, 2 books that are a tad over Elliott's interest level at this stage, but I've really liked reading the past couple of weeks:

Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer by Carrie Clickard and illustrator Mark Meyers

Anything about books and I'm typically a fan, but throw in pirates and I'm definitely interested! Some of the rhymes were a bit of a stretch, but I found that quirk charming and funny. I think it was the author's intent to get the reader a tad tongue-tied and I loved that! The main character was charming in her land-loving ways and the fact that all she wanted to do was open a bookstore on dry land was adorable! 

I know we'll sell gobs of this in the store and I'll be keeping this copy on my shelves for when the little guy is a little older. Great for the 4-6 age group. 

A World of Food by Carl Warner

If you weren't hungry before looking at this book, you certainly will be when you finish! Pages and pages of landscapes and scenes constructed entirely from colorful food...from the brown chocolate train scene and gray mushroom mountains to the pink candy land and yellow desert filled with couscous, rice, and yellow beans. So creative!

Pages in the back describe what's in each edible landscape. This could definitely be used as an inspiration for a fabulous art project!


Jennifer Young said...

I love your reviews! I just added a few of them to my list. They all sounds so interesting. Especially that last one about food!!
Thanks for sharing this morning.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Jennifer, that's so nice! I love sharing books we've enjoyed :)

Lynne Watts said...

What great recommendations. As a school counselor, I"m always looking for some picture books that will make a good lesson and a few of these certainly seems like possibilities. thanks