Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wife 22 review

Alice has been married, quite happily, for over 20 years, but lately she's feeling empty. Her children don't seem to need her anymore, despite Alice being convinced they each have major issues, and she feels like she and her husband have become roommates, rather than the crazy-in-love couple they once were. 

When Alice receives an email invitation to participate in a marriage study, she jumps at the chance. It's anonymous and she figures she's got nothing to lose...until she starts falling for the researcher in charge of sending her the questions. Alice is no longer sure if she actually wants to fix her marriage or if the excitement of someone new is more appealing. 

I was so intrigued by this story and definitely enjoyed my reading of it, though I was not Alice's biggest fan. She was completely self-absorbed and irritating and completely flippant about the serious problems she believes her son and daughter are suffering from. I think these quirks were just the writing style, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Alice totally drove me crazy sometimes, but her story was fun and sweet, hope-filled, and definitely something I hadn't read before.

The plot concept was unique and made me keep wanting to turn the pages, even after the little twist became obvious somewhere in the middle. I had to find out what happened between Wife 22 and the Researcher! Definitely a bit of a strange romance-but not-romance that was fun and had me chuckling. If you're looking for a super-serious read, I would definitely pass, but if you'd like a good story with some quirks, tr it out. 

Wife 22
Melanie Gideon
400 pages
Adult Fiction
Random House
9780345527950
Review copy

No comments: