Friday, July 27, 2012

Fitness Friday: Bootcamp has begun!

I, along with 400+ of my new best friends, have joined Tina's latest Best Body Bootcamp, which kicked off Monday. Let's just say...I'm sore. Really sore. This is another time I hate living in a split level, because no matter where I go I have to walk up or down stairs and stairs reallllly hurt right now. Darn you, Tina! (Which really means, THANK YOU TINA!)

We have daily workout combos of strength and cardio and I really thought all the running I had been doing had me prepared for what was to come. I had no idea how sore my legs would be after the lower body workout, leaving me with an entirely new appreciation for lunges and squats. Holy sore quads!

On Monday I used the jump rope as my cardio portion and that seriously kicked my butt. I don't know why I can run a few miles and be ok, but 2 minutes jump roping exhausts me for the day. Either way, it worked its sweaty magic and got my heart rate up. The rest of the week, I ran as usual. Long run tonight!

I've also been reminded how weak my upper body is and, of course, after having two c-sections my lower abs are toast. I love having this workout set up for me, so I don't give up after one or two arm raises or crunches. Tina says to do 12, I'm going to do 12. Or at least as close to 12 as I can muster.

Eating is still going well and looks something like this almost every day:

Breakfast: Green smoothie (spinach, almond milk, chia seeds, ground flax, greek yogurt, frozen banana)

Snack: 1/2 Luna bar

Lunch: Leftovers or whatever I've made myself for the week. This week is was quinoa, corn, and black bean salad.

Snack: 1/2 Luna bar and 2 chunks of cheese

Dinner: This week we've had homemade banana pepper and onion pizza, low-cal chicken parm, smoothies, and zucchini rice.

Snack: Either nothing or a 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt. If I've run that night I usually don't want to eat anything else.

I think, as part of my workout for the week, I'm going to try to convince the husband to hike with me tomorrow. It's my absolute favorite method of exercise (besides swimming) and we have yet to do it this summer. Combine crummy humid weather with having to work around naptime for a child and it has just been impossible. I'm hoping tomorrow just might be the day. 

Finally, I wanted to fill all of you fitness fans in on a new favorite of mine. I bought a new set of weights for this bootcamp, after dealing with really light dumbbells for the last couple of years. I figured it was time for an upgrade. A fellow bootcamp participant sent the group the link to these and I couldn't resist them. A 40lb adjustable weight set with dumbbells. I love being able to easily switch the weight I want to use, without having to have 3 different sets of dumbbells floating around. And $40 was in my budget. 

Hoping everyone has a great fitness week! I'll be on vacation next week, but I'll definitely still be working out, so look for another Bootcamp related post. Happy Friday!


thiscrazylifeofmine2012 said...

Hi, one of your 400 new best friends here, lol. I am LOVING Tina's bootcamp. It's really making me work and challenging me which is just what I needed. I've been feeling it all week, but it's great. Look forward to following you on this. We can do it!

The Brain Lair (KB) said...

The weights really are a good deal. I need to find a boot camp near me. Something easier though since I haven't really worked out in years. Thanks for the inspiration.