Monday, July 23, 2012

Thoughts on How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm

I hadn't heard of this book before Jenn kindly passed it on to me, but it was a really eye-opening read. As a new mom, I'm always wanting a peek into how other moms parent their children and how they attack new situations like introducing foods and potty training. I need all the help and inspiration that I can get!

Each chapter features a different country and culture and one of their parenting practices. We visit Argentina, Tibet, Lebanon, and many others, but I was totally taken with the way the Chinese potty train their kids and how the French instill excellent eating habits from a very early age. Every chapter was interesting and enlightening, but those two definitely stuck out. I would love to for Elliott to be potty trained early and only want to eat great food. Say no to junk! :)

Hopgood has a really great writing style --both informative and easy to read with brief passages about her own family and her children. She really made me think outside of the American way of parenting and look into other options. I'll be handing this one to the guest of honor at the next baby shower I attend!


How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm and Other Adventures in Parenting
Mei-Ling Hopgood
304 pages
Adult Non-Fiction
Algonquin Books
9781565129580
January 2012
Gifted

1 comment:

Lynne Watts said...

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a really interesting book--I'll have to check it out!