Friday, August 17, 2012

Fitness Friday: Endurance problems

First, a bootcamp check-in! 




The last two weeks have been focused on tempo training and I've definitely been feeling the muscle burn. Tina defines tempo training as "using slow and controlled counts to target different parts of the movement in each exercise." I've never done this type of training before, but it's making my arms and legs shake by the third set, so it's obviously working!

I love how much motivation and encouragement I'm receiving from the other bootcamp participants and I'm thrilled with the results I'm already gaining...and we're only halfway through! Tina announced this week that there is definitely going to be a Best Body Bootcamp 3 & 4 and the dates have been set. Very excited about this!

Since the beginning of bootcamp I've lost about 5lbs. Not too shabby for a month! Down approximately 22lbs since March. 

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my endurance levels, because something is definitely up. I've been exercising at least 4 days a week since March and up until a month ago, those 4 days consisted mainly of running. Once bootcamp started, I added the strength training a few days a week. For the last 2 weeks, my endurance while running has gone waaaay down. I was finally up to almost being able to run 3 miles without any sort of walk break and now, I can barely make it a mile. Last night I needed to walk at a half mile. It's more than a little discouraging. 

I totally understand the first week bootcamp started making my muscles incredibly sore, so the running was much more of a "very slow jog/walk." But, once I started to get into doing strength training again, I really thought my endurance would pick back up. Any ideas? Any tips?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Take a walk with your family or a bike ride. Something to get your heart pumping :)

1 comment:

Jes said...

I found the same thing happen with me. Back when I lived in Ga and focused more on running, I could hop on the treadmill and bust out 4-5 miles a day. Now that I am doing a 30 min cardio with strength, I just cannot build my running endurance up. After 15 min at a 10 min/mile pace I am done, if anyone else knows if this is common, I would love to know the answer!!