Saturday, August 25, 2012

Picture Book Saturday: My choice!

I've been sharing Elliott's new favorites lately, but this week I have two of my own favorites. I've always loved both of these stories and am so glad to have my own copies to share with my son now.

As a kid, I loved both of these books and was really excited to see them being reissued! Both are about wondering what it would be like in the city and realizing that the country isn't so bad after all. Story of my life.

Originally published in 1978 and winner of the Caldecott Medal, The Little House by Virginia Burton is the story of exactly what the title states: a little house. The house loves living in the countryside, but has always wondered what it would be like to live in the big city. As times change and years pass, the city ends up surrounding the little house, taking over the countryside, until the poor house can't see any green space at all. Be careful what you wish for!

It has a happy ending, I promise! I love the pure classic feel of this one and the illustrations are lovely. My husband thinks it's too long and sentimental, but he's just doesn't get it. Elliott and I have been reading this one at least once a week before naptime and WE love it. It's a nice, quiet story...no excitement here...and I think every once in awhile we need to slow down and read a good long picture book. 

The reissued hardcover is available in mid-April!

The Little House
Virginia Lee Burton
44 pages
Picture Book
Houghton Mifflin
9780547790442
April 2012
Review copy

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse by Paul Galdone was originally published in 1971. This was really one of my favorites when I was growing up, because I lived in the country and always had dreams about what it would be like to live in a city. Or just a place that it didn't take an hour to find a grocery store. You know...perspective. 

Most of you probably know the story: the town mouse doesn't understand how the country mouse could stand living in the country, with it being the dullest place on Earth and all, and invites his friend to come stay with him in the city. The fancy life is too crazy for the country mouse, so he hightails it right back to where he came from, happy to live a boring life. 

A simple story, with a nice message. Just be happy where you are!

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
Paul Galdone
40 pages
Picture Book
Houghton Mifflin
9780547668543
April 2012
Review copy

1 comment:

Lynne Watts said...

Love these two older books and like you, I remember reading the city mouse and the country mouse as a kid myself. I remember thinking... why does it have to be one or the other? Even today, I try to combine these two locations in my life.