Saturday, August 11, 2012

Picture Book Saturday

Time for another update on what Elliott and I are enjoying together. Today's post is all board books. E seems to be getting more and more interested in grabbing and eating whatever we're attempting to "read," so the sturdier books are what's working for now.

On our daily reading agenda:


Go! Go! Go! by Cartwheel Books

This one has been SO much fun to look at for the little guy. Every page is filled with super bold colors and fun textures to touch (and attempt to chew). The tabs on the sides of the pages make it easier for him to try and turn the pages himself and the sound effects I made as we read each vehicle type was amusing to him, as well. At least it appeared to be. :)

I loved the concept of different colors, patterns, and textures helping to teach about vehicle types and simple vocabulary. Go! Go! Go! is a big winner in our house!


Baby Faces by Mallory Loehr and illustrator Vanessa Brantley Newton

I have to admit, this one isn't MY favorite, but it sure has been a hit with the age level it was meant for! Both Elliott and his cousin loved seeing each new baby face and were fascinated by what the interactive tabs would do. The babies sneeze, wink, chew, etc. and each right page is a full baby face (the aspect I DID like).

I just felt the interactive portion was a little forced. The movement of the faces when the tabs were pulled wasn't the most realistic, but it got the point across.  E was happy, so I'll keep it around!




My Dad is the Best Playground by Luciana Navarro Powell

We are always on the lookout for a good "dad" book and this one fits the bill. Elliott sees his daddy come home in a suit and tie every day and proceeds to climb all over him for about an hour before it's bedtime. The illustrations were perfectly similar to our own routine, which I point out to E each time I read. 

The text is simple and fits into the board book format very well. This would be a really nice gift for the dad at a baby shower or for Father's Day.  


God is Good...All the Time by Dr. Margi McCombs and illustrators Olga and Aleksey Ivanov

I know that God-talk isn't on the table in everyone's home, but it definitely is in ours. This particular board book has the concept simplicity I'm looking for in books about religion, paired with bold illustrations. Perfect for E right now. 

Though I liked the parts that explained what God has given us to make us smile, I really just loved the statement of God being good all the time. It's repetitive in a childlike way and we've been loving reading it before naptime every day. 


Thanks to Scholastic and Random House for the review copies!




No comments: