Saturday, September 8, 2012

Picture Book Saturday: Illustrations!

I, like many other people, love picture books for their illustrations. The stories are, of course, nice too, but I love to just slowly browse through a picture book, lingering on the pages and finding the little details. I have several "favorite" illustrators (Peter H. Reynolds, John Rocco, Alison Jay, Philip/Erin Stead are a few), but tons of books that I love to just stare at. Here are a few new ones:

I Like Old Clothes by Mary Ann Hoberman and illustrator Patrice Barton


This is an older story, but has been reillustrated...and beautifully so. The story itself is excellent and fits my mindset on hand-me-downs perfectly. Why buy new clothes when there are excellent pieces out there that someone else has already nicely broken in! I hope to pass that idea onto Elliott and the fun illustrations will definitely help to encourage that. 


The pages are filled with soft colors, yet a lively pair of children that make this such a cute story. They're excited about their hand-me-downs and the reader gets to enjoy the beauty of the new-to-them clothes right along with them. I think every frugal family could use a copy of this one!

I also loved Patrice Barton's illustrations in Rosie Sprout's Time to Shine.

I Like Old Clothes
Mary Ann Hoberman
32 pages
Knopf
9780375869518
August 2012
Review copy

Hide & Seek by Il Sung Na


Na's illustrations are SO gorgeous. In this particular book they're bright, colorful, and fun to look at, which is probably why Elliott has gravitated right to since it has been on our bookshelves. He loves to look at the pages and actually sits through the entire story!


The simplicity of a game of hide and seek is taken up a notch with the addition of a chameleon. Elephant manages to find all of his other friends, but chameleon is just too good at hiding! It's a cute story that would be great to read with your younger story time groups. And, of course, I can't say enough good things about the illustrations. Love them!


Hide & Seek
Il Sung Na
32 pages
Knopf
9780375870781
July 2011
Review copy

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse retold and illustrated by Helen Ward


The illustrations in this book are absolutely phenomenal!! The story of the town mouse and the country mouse, each loving their lives in their respective places, is much the same as I remember from all of the other versions I own, but it's told very simply and without a huge amount of text which is very nice. Much more accessible for younger children. 


It's one of my favorite fables and so I've collected a few copies over the years, but Helen Ward's illustrations are, by far, my favorite. They are incredibly rich, both in color and detail, and you'll want to spend lots of time perusing the pages admiring her work. Everything from the pink flowers on the cover to the platter of blue cheese on the last page has this amazing level of detail and beauty. I love it!

I'm getting two copies...one to go on MY shelf to cherish and one for Elliott to enjoy. This would make a beautiful gift for a child or an adult, so in our house, we get two!

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
Helen Ward
48 pages
Templar
978076366098
September 2012
Review copy

No comments: