Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Cutting Season review


Caren has been the manager of Belle Vie, a luxurious plantation house in Louisiana, for over four years and she is completely committed to her job and her life there. When she is informed by one of the groundsmen that a body has been discovered, half buried on the property, Caren is drawn into the story of this horrific murder and begins to learn more and more about Belle Vie's past. Things she isn't quite sure she wants to know. 


The story is incredibly intense and lush in both detail and language. This is not a simple murder mystery that would typically have the reader flipping the pages quicker and quicker to find out whodunit. You'll want to linger on these pages, reading the beautiful details that Locke injects into the plot. If there were ever a lovely murder story, this would be it!

A whole slew of topics are touched on --race, politics, slavery, etc.-- but there isn't so much "stuff" that the plot becomes cumbersome or that it strays totally away from being a thriller. I loved Locke's writing and her characters and I found myself caring about them in a way that doesn't typically happen with this genre of book. The setting was spectacular and I could feel myself transported to both the past and to the present in the story. 

Such an excellent read and one I would definitely recommend for fans of both thrillers and great writing in general. Attica Locke is one I'll be keeping my eye on! 

You can find Attica on her website, Facebook, or Twitter.


The Cutting Season
Attica Locke 
384 pages
Adult Fiction
Harper
9780061802058
September 2012
Review copy

1 comment:

heathertlc said...

I'm glad you'll be looking for more from this author!

Thanks for being on the tour.