Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Falling Together review

"It's been six years since Pen Calloway watched Cat and Will, her best friends from college, walk out of her life. Through the birth of her daughter, the death of her father, and the vicissitudes of single motherhood, she has never stopped missing them. When, after years of silence, Cat -- the bewitching, charasmatic center of their group -- urgently requests that the three meet at their college reunion, Pen can't refuse. But instead of a happy reconciliation, what awaits is a collision of past and present that sends Pen and Will on a journey around the world, with Pen's five-year-old daughter and Cat's hostile husband in tow. And as Pen and Will struggle to uncover the truth about Cat, they find more than they bargained for: starting truths about who they were before and who they are now."

Marisa de los Santos is an author whose books I'm always waiting for. Her characters are always so unique and have a depth that leaves me totally satisfied at the end of each of her books and Falling Together was no exception. The plot of this one actually started out pretty slow for me, but after I was able to get into it and made those inevitable connections with her characters, I was totally hooked. 

The relationship between Pen, Will, and Cat was authentically complicated, making it easy to believe in their moments of happiness, as well as those dark moments that split them apart (and kept them apart for so long). From one of the early scenes of the story, when Cat has a seizure in the bathroom with Pen and Will helping her through it in an almost darkly comical manner, I knew I would love their strange triangle. 

I really appreciated the witty dialogue and even though I wasn't a huge fan of Cat's character (which may have been the author's point), I really enjoyed this one. Write faster, Marisa!

If you're a Marisa de los Santos fan like me, you can head over to her Facebook page and stalk watch for info on new books!


trish said...

I've found that some of my favorite books are ones that you have to stick with -- Jane Eyre was one of those books for me. Once I got through the first 30-50 pages, I was hooked! So glad you enjoyed this one!

Thanks for being on the tour!

Ironic Lady (BookSpark) said...

Following the TLC tour :) It took me almost a week to read this book because I was reading each page slowly and savoring all the beautiful imagery and elaborate descriptions it provided. I'm so glad you enjoyed Falling Together too!

Ana @ BookSpark