Thursday, October 18, 2012

I think I'm breaking up with Birchbox

It's a sad day. Over the summer, I fell in love with Birchbox. Who wouldn't love getting awesome samples in the mail once a month, designed to my specific tastes? The first couple of months were great (posts here and here), but slowly, the samples have become almost expected...and a little boring.  So bummed. 

So, I signed up for Ipsy (formerly MyGlam). I wanted to compare the two companies to see which I liked better and after month #1 of Ipsy, they're the clear winner. To be fair, Birchbox was great the first few times too, so I'm going to wait another month before definitely deciding. 

First the boxes. I apologize for the lack of photos. Aaron keeps promising to build a photo box, but until that happens I don't have great photos unless they're outside. 


Benta Berry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream
LiQWd SiLK Professional Deep Conditioning Treatment
LiQWd The Perfect Wave
Mox Botanicals Pomegranate & Fig Lip Butter
theBalm cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer
tili Bags


be a bombshell Eye Liner
Coastal Scents Eye Shadow
mireness Lip Bomb Glossy Lacquer Stain (full size)
the Balm Cosmetics "the body builder" Mascara
Chevron print makeup bag

This is the 3rd month in a row I've received moisturizer from Birchbox. Sure, everyone needs moisturizer and it hasn't been the same brand each time, but when the moisturizer is the main sample, it gets boring and repetitive. And last month, though I didn't take photos of my box, they sent the UGLIEST nail polish. Erica actually goes over exactly how ugly it is, as well as complains about the same issues I have. She had the exact same box I did last month. 

One of my samples this month from Birchbox was a bag. A plastic bag. It's supposed to be a makeup bag (and could very well be used as one), but compared to the adorable chevron print bag Ipsy sent, it just seemed inexpensive and a little boring. 

I'm going to give Birchbox and Ipsy each one more month before deciding. Though I'd love to have two sets of samples coming to me every month, it's not the best way to spend our money, so I'm going to have to choose!

Anyone have experience with either company? Love? Not-so-much love?


Lisa said...

I think I'm going to break up too. And your box is a million times better than mine. I got TWO anti-aging things this time- one cream, one oil- a makeup sponge (seriously?) and a luna bar. I did like the nailpolish last month (mine was blue) but that was IT.

Jes said...

I am on the fence currently. I have been happy with at least half of my products in each box, but I agree that the reruns are annoying. I got a tilli bag both last month and this month!! I was super excited though to get a face wash sample that is 4.5oz.

Abby said...

I haven't tried Birchbox, but I took a look at Ipsy and you've convinced me to give it a try!

Sarah said...

I broke up with Birchbox too. I was not happy with the boxes I was getting.