Monday, October 22, 2012

Looking for a new dystopian?

If you're like me and always anxiously awaiting the next big dystopian novel, I urge you to grab this one to hold you over. After is packed with stories by great contemporary YA authors, all focused on the apocalypse or dystopian societies -- some super creepy, others thought-provoking, and few that were a little on the strange side. 

A few of the authors included in the book are Gregory Maguire, Carrie Ryan, Garth Nix, Beth Revis, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Susan Beth Pfeffer -- some of my favorites! In fact, if you happen to know how much I rave about Carrie Ryan's books and how often I hand sell them at work, it will come as no surprise that her story was my hands-down favorite. Such beautiful writing in the midst of the world ending! 

As with any anthology, there will be some that you'll really love and others you won't quite connect with, but if you're a dystopian addict like me, I would highly recommend adding this to your collection to slowly read while waiting for the next big novel to be publish. 

And if you have any ideas as to what that next big dystopian book is supposed to be be, let me know!

After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
Edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling
384 pages
Hyperion Books
9781423146193
October 2012
Review copy


2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I liked Kincaid's Insignia rather a lot; don't know if it's THE next dystopian book, but it will circulate well.

Susan said...

I just got this for review from the publisher. After your review, I'm even MORE excited to read it (and I was already pretty excited!).