Monday, October 15, 2012

More fall fun

I'm off to a pretty good start on Trish's Pin It and Do It Challenge. So far, I've made 3 out of the 4-7 I signed up to do, though all have been food. Next week I would really like to have a craft project knocked off the list. This week I made Crockpot Applesauce from Mommy Makes it Better




(image from  Mommy Makes it Better.)

I altered the recipe, because I was lacking ingredients, but it still turned out wonderfully. I left out the brown sugar altogether (I didn't see why sweet apples needed more sugar) and I left out the lemon peel. I added extra cinnamon sticks and the result was a deliciously cinnamon-applesauce. Elliott loves it, so I'd say it was a success. And so easy!

I also made Sweet Potato, Quinoa, Black Bean Chili from theKitchn.


(Image from theKitchn)

This was SO good. My one teeny tiny critique is that the beans never truly were soft. I'm not sure if that was my fault or if the recipe left out soaking them as a step, but either way, even after a total of 5 hours cooking, then were still a bit harder than I would have liked. 

It did win me 3rd place in a chili cook-off though, in a place filled with beef lovers, no less!

Before the chili cook-off, the group did a big scavenger hunt with the kids. So much fun! We each took a child (I was happily paired up with a 9-year-old little girl...awesome, since E doesn't quite get the concept of a scavenger hunt yet ;). We had to drive all over town finding certain items on the list and taking photos of them. All Halloween or autumn themed. We came in last, but we certainly had fun!



One of our tasks was to wrap up like a mummy in front of a tombstone. This was one of the other teams and they did a great job!

Overall, it was a really fun weekend. I love all the activities we've managed to participate in, without feeling like we're running around like maniacs. Next weekend, we're having our first set of professional family photos done and I'm SO excited. And slightly nervous. I've never been one to enjoy having my picture taken, but I guess I have to get over that.

On the blog this past week:

A Day at the Pumpkin Patch

Falling Together review

Elliott's First Chapter Book

Fitness Friday


5 comments:

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

Your chili was more than good to get M to declare it her favorite!!

Tessa K. said...

The softness of the beans (or lack there of) may be due to when you added salt or acid containing ingredients - when you add then it stops the softening (particularly acids), so if you add them before the beans are as soft as you like, then they will never get there. Not all recipes take that into account, or if they call for canned beans, they assume they are all ready soft.

I am so glad you are enjoying your fall! I'm going to make apple butter this weekend - the apples are gorgeous here in Korea!

~Tessa
=)

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

We love crock pot applesauce! I shall be making some this weekend!

Trish said...

I have a problem with beans becoming really soft as well. Or the skins splitting (when I use dried beans).

I'm going to try this applesauce recipe. YUM!!!