Friday, November 2, 2012

Fitness Friday: It's getting cold outside

I grew up in Upstate NY, where Spring, Winter, and Fall are all freezing cold most years. I've had snowstorms on my birthday in April and it snows almost every year on Halloween. Having lived there most of my life, one would think I'd be used to the cold and the havock it brings when attempting to exercise, but alas, my lungs never adjusted to cold air. 

I'm one of those people that is outside for 10 minutes in the cold and my lungs start burning. Forget about running, I can barely walk quickly without wheezing and feeling incredibly uncomfortable. Though I now live in Northern Virginia and the temps don't get quite as frigid as New York, it's still cold! 33 degrees this morning, on November 2nd. It's cold. However, since this year marked the start of my serious fitness journey, I'm not about to give up exercising from November-February, just because I can't necessarily run outside, I can't afford a gym membership, and I hate workout videos. What's a girl to do?

Pinterest to the rescue, once again. For the past couple of weeks, I've been slowly working a few workouts I've found on Pinterest into my routines, as well as taking long walks/jogs with Elliott and getting out to run myself once or twice a week. When it becomes too cold for running outside, I plan to do one of these each day. It's not going to be quite the workout that running would, but it's something to get my heart pumping, keep my strength up, and just keep me moving through those dark days of winter. 

Here are few that I've been doing and that definitely get my heart rate up:












Disclaimer: I'm not a fitness instructor, nor am I certified in any health field. I did not create these workouts, nor am I endorsing that they are the best path for YOU. I don't know if the exercises are working the proper muscle groups in the correct order or if they're doing more harm than good. 

What are some of the exercises you do during the winter to stay in shape?

1 comment:

Tina's Blog said...

I love Jillian Michaels workouts---even though I am quite sore afterwards. I like knowing I did something! My favorites: 30 Day Shred, Shred it With Weights, and her 60 Days to a Six-Pack (which I have had for well over 60 days with no six pack in sight, but perhaps if I actually did the DVD for 60 days it would work a bit better!)