Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Maurice Sendak and the Nutcracker. I'm giving one away!

I love the story of The Nutcracker. It's one of those classic holiday stories that is fun to read and see on stage, though, I've never seen a ballet version in person. Must remedy that. When I saw that Maurice Sendak had illustrated a version of the Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffman way back in the 1980's that was being reissued, I knew I wanted a copy and a few days later those psychics at Random House offered me one to have and one to giveaway. Mind readers, I tell you. 

Sendak apparently worked in set and costume design for a ballet company's version of The Nutcracker years and years ago, which would definitely explain the beauty on these pages. The story is long, definitely best for older children that are willing to sit through a story, and beautifully done. It would make an awesome keepsake for a child that loves the story or for those that just love to collect Sendak books. I wasn't even aware he had done this one... it originally came out the year I was born. 

Random House kindly sent an extra copy for me to give away to one of you. If you're interested, leave a comment telling me your favorite holiday tradition with your family. Make sure I have a way of contacting you, if you win!!

Hooray for Maurice Sendak!



5 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

I had a copy of this edition many years ago, and would love to share it with my own children (especially my daughter, who loves the Nutcracker ballet). Thanks for the giveaway, Amanda and Random House!

jpetroroy said...

We love watching A Muppet Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve. I can't wait to make more traditions with E this year :)

Susan said...

I already have a copy, so no need to enter me, but I wanted to say that going to the Nutcracker is a tradition in my family. My birthday's right before Christmas, so my mom and sisters used to go see the Nutcracker every year. Now, I take my daughters. I love it and am super excited to read my copy of this edition!

theculbertsons05 said...

Thanks for the opportunity! My favorite tradition...Christmas Eve, Eve (the 23rd) my cousins come to spend the night. They are now 11 & 16, and we have children of our own, but they still come stay! I would love to add this book to the tradtion!!!!!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

This looks like a goregous book. Thanks for letting us know about it.

bridgetwilson4765(at)gmail(dot)com