Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week in Review: Home improvements

Long time, no see! I feel like I've barely had a presence on the blog or Twitter this week, but it's been a bit harried around here. Elliott is still teething and managed to get sick AGAIN. I think I'm going to have one of those babies that just can't seem to stay healthy. Nothing serious, but he had about a week of feeling good before he started coughing again and his nose is running like a faucet. Back to the inhalers. 


However, nothing a blanket, box, and his fingers can't fix. Ohh...those fingers. They drive me nuts.

We're also in the midst of doing a few kitchen updates and in our house that means the one-day project will actually take about a week. Or more. The whole pantry debacle was almost 2 weeks, so I figured the countertops would be a disaster, but so far it's going ok. Almost done! 

We went the inexpensive route and bought one of those "fake granite" paint kits that everyone seems to rave about. It turned out about as well as you could expect from two people that are absolutely not artists. Almost all the reviews we read on the kits were positive, but I still think it looks like a painted countertop. Really hoping that once the top coat is on and dry, I'm happier with it. 






From a distance it's fine, but on closer inspection it's a painted countertop. Oh well. We have very little countertop space, as you can see, so if I really hate it, we'll spend the money and replace them. 

In the past few days we've painted those countertops, replaced the cheap and ugly sink, faucet, and broken garbage disposal, and are working on swapping out the heating element in the oven. Determined to figure out what the heck is wrong with that thing. So glad I have a handy husband. He's amazing. 

I finished up a couple of books this week:

On the Divinity of Second Chances by Kaya McLaren

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

I blogged:

A review of Things Happen Here

A review of Jepp, Who Defied the Stars

Planning some fun stuff for the blog this week, including a showcase of new pop-up books and a giveaway!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I don't think it looks bad at all in the pictures. Maybe my standards are low tho.