Sunday, January 6, 2013

Two new picture book favorites


I'm constantly trying out new books with Elliott and love seeing the ones he gravitates towards, but sometimes, I want to read picture books just for me! Longer picture books like The Lonely Book or books that have a sweet sentiment like And Then It's Spring, books that a 1-year-old just isn't going to understand or care about for a couple of years at least. 

These two, new ones recently out from Candlewick, are falling into the "Mom Loves" category, as well. Elliott may not be interested quite yet, but grab one of your children who happens to be over, say...5... and read these with him or her. They're going to love them! 

Black Dog by Levi Pinfold is gorgeously illustrated, even bordering on creepy/beautiful sometimes, hence my recommendation for the older kids. It's wonderfully written story about courage and how sometimes our fears are much bigger than the scary thing actually is. Plus, it's about a dog and family finding each other, so, of course I love it! 

Give this one to dog lovers, even adults, and they'll appreciate the beauty of the story and the lush details of the illustrations. It got a Cybils nod too, so you know it's a good one! 

Oliver by Birgitta Sif is a sweet story of independence and embracing the idea of being different. Of course, there are tons of books out there with this message, but none that I've found quite like this one. Oliver loves to play by alone -- entertaining himself with puppets and the friends he creates from his imagination. No one quite understands him, but Oliver is completely content on his own. 

I loved the quirky illustrations and the concept that being alone is ok. I'm like that sometimes, even as an adult. Hanging out alone is fun! Several friends think I'm strange, but at times, I'd much rather be my own friend for a day. Oliver is an awesome, inspiring character. 

Thanks to Candlewick for sending us these great books to read!

No comments: