Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Secret of the Nightingale Palace


Anna and her grandmother, Goldie, have not spoken in over five years. Even when Anna's husband passes away, all she receives from Goldie is a sympathy card of condolence and nothing more. When, out of the blue, Goldie calls, wanting Anna to drive her all the way to San Francisco to return something to a friend, Anna is rightfully skeptical and not at all thrilled about the chore -- though she accepts.


On the road, Goldie, wanting to break her granddaughter's depression after losing her husband, decides to begin sharing some of her painful secrets of her life in the 1940's. Goldie knows that opening up about her own past will probably help Anna begin to move on. So, she does what a good grandmother would do: she talks. 

The story flows between past and present as the Sachs weaves a detailed family drama with the aspects of a difficult time in history. I was able to read it very quickly, because the characters had a hold on my interest from the very beginning and I needed to know what was going to happen next. Definitely not a thriller by any means, but I turned the pages as if it were one. 

I love historical fiction and this one was an excellent blend of the past and the present. Highly recommended. 

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for the review copy! If you'd like to stop by the other blogs on the tour, you can find the schedule here. 

3 comments:

Anna said...

Yes, the characters really make this one a page-turner. They felt so real to me. Glad you enjoyed this book, too!

Kathy Dassaro said...

I won this from LibraryThing and it is next on my reading list. Great review. Can't wait to start it.

trish said...

I know exactly what you mean by this! "Definitely not a thriller by any means, but I turned the pages as if it were one." I wish more non-thrillers had this quality!

Thanks for being on the tour!