Monday, May 27, 2013

YA Reading Round-up: Summer edition

I manage to read YA books fairly quickly and often don't have enough posting days in my blogging schedule to talk about everything I've recently read in an individual post. Hence, the round-up. This edition of the YA Reading Round-up features a few books that I think would make great choices for summer reading.  Short on synopsis, so I'm asking you to trust me! They're on the lighter side for content, quick reads, fun for the beach or camping, or simply awesome page turners. Hopefully you'll find something in the list that you'll want to pick up!

Golden by Jessi Kirby

This is Kirby's 3rd book and easily my favorite. She just keeps getting better! The romance definitely lingers in the background of this one. It's there, but not so in-your-face that I'd call the book a "romance," which I really appreciated. There's a tragic mystery at the forefront making the emotions run high and the characters -- especially Parker -- easy to attach to. I felt what Parker felt throughout the story and that makes for a successful main character and I truly wanted to see her happy at the end. I cared about each of them, but she made a great impact on my own emotional state!

The boys were hot for sure ( shop dude for me please) and the plot line was realistic. Throw in a road trip and this was a great summer read. 

Thank you to S&S for the review copy.

The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

Perhaps more "romancy" than Golden, this one still had a serious subject at the heart of it and brought me to tears more than once. The main character, Jude, has a huge responsibility taking care of her father and it broke my heart to watch him slowly fade away from her and his family. 

As she falls for a boy who is definitely NOT on her older sisters' list of approved boyfriend material, the confusion Jude is facing over so many aspects of her life makes this read really emotional. So many teens face a lot of pressure at such a young age and Jude was a great character to exhibit that. 

The multicultural details were a fantastic surprise and I loved that Ockler wrote a story from the perspective of a girl that wasn't white, but didn't make a huge deal out of it. It was just how Jude's family was meant to be. More teen authors should take a page from Ockler's notebook! 

Thank you to S&S for the review copy.

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

I'm definitely coming late to the party on this one, but seriously, WHAT A PAGE TURNER. Typically, I'm not a true sci-fi fan, so when I heard this one was about an alien invasion, I wasn't eager to pick it up. So glad I finally did! More dystopian than sci-fi, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happened to Cassie, Sammy, and the large cast of characters that drilled their way into my heart. 

Though an intense book isn't one I'd normally pick for a quick summer read, this one is perfect for sitting in a lawn chair one afternoon and tearing through. It's a chunkster, but reads very quickly and the characters are written so well you'll NEED to know what happens next. These aliens are unlike any other alien you've ever read about. 

Librarians/teachers, I'd hand this to a reluctant reader in a heartbeat, even with the book size. 


Ms. Yingling said...

Thanks for the reminder about Ockler. I put it on reserve at the public library. I loved her Bittersweet. Have The 5th Wave ready to pick up.

Jes Hindley said...

I've heard really good things about The 5th Wave! I am anxious to read it :)