Friday, June 28, 2013

Bread & Wine...where I do a bit of gushing.

Bread & Wine is my new "it" book. It's the book that I'm going to buy for best friends, family members, graduates, new moms, and mom-pros. It's the book for every woman, despite your faith background or your cooking experience. The stories Shauna Niequist writes about are incredibly relatable -- you'll find your own life on these pages -- and she had me both giggling and crying within a few pages of one another. 

I've already made the Blueberry Crisp and brought it to a friend who had just had a baby. We shared it (generous friend!) and it was simply divine and SO easy. I can't wait to give the other recipes a try, though I imagine I'll love them all. It's easy to love food that was created with friendship and hospitality in mind. 

One of my greatest takeaways from this book is the idea of being hospitable, despite the size of one's home. We've always loved to have guests over and have food and drinks, but have stayed away from larger crowds, because of the small size of our house. With Shauna's urging, I know people will be thrilled to be invited, even if it means cushions on the floor and plates in laps.

I cannot possibly say enough great things about this book. It will definitely be a favorite of the year... a favorite of all-time. 

A side note:

The other night on Twitter, after finishing this book, I mentioned how I'd love to have Beth Moore, Jen Hatmaker, and Shauna Niequist over for dinner using recipes from this book. They ALL tweeted back to me!! I fangirled a bit. Well...more than a bit. A lot. In the world of Christian authors and speakers, these three women are celebrities, so this was my equivalent of having Oprah tweet me back. Such sweet women...I'd love to be friends with them in real life!

Thank you to BookSneeze for the review copy. 


Tiffany said...

I have never even heard of this book. It sounds amazing. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Melinda Ott said...

Bread and Wine is one of my favorite books so far this year...What a wonderful book!