Friday, June 14, 2013

Passionate Mom review

I love doing book Bible studies. It's easiest for me to learn from the Bible when it's applied to me in practical, contemporary ways and Susan Merrill did an excellent job of this in Passionate Mom. Let's face it... I need all the parenting help I can get!

Using the book of Nehemiah as a guide, Merrill gives us moms a specific pattern to follow in order to guide our parenting. She uses 10 P's: perception, pondering, passion, prayer, patience, preparation, purpose, planning, problem solving, and perseverance to form that pattern, as did Nehemiah.

Though the book wasn't filled with a whole lot of new information, I did take away some practical tips on remaining passionate about this amazing "job" I've been chosen to do. Patience is my biggest hurtle and her list of 10 reasons why we lose our patience as moms was definitely helpful. If I can recognize which ones are my personal triggers, I can confront them before they get to a place of conflict. Easier said than done, of course! 

I learned a lot from a book in the Bible that I wasn't totally comfortable with and for that, I'm grateful. I think Passionate Mom would be a great addition to a women's Bible study and I think I'll be sharing it with my MOPS group this fall!

Thank you to Book Sneeze for the review copy. 

1 comment:

Jes Hindley said...

I am going to check this one out! I am searching for the next book devotional since finishing Experiencing God, and this sounds like a good one for summer!