Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Keeper of Secrets review

Publisher description: 

"In 1939 Berlin, 14-year-old Simon Horowitz’s world is stirred by his father's 1742 Guarneri del Gesu violin. When Nazis march across Europe and Simon is sent to Dachau, he finds unexpected kindness, and a chance to live.
In the present day, orchestra conductor Rafael Gomez finds himself inspired by Daniel Horowitz, a 14-year-old violin virtuoso who refuses to play. When Rafael learns that the boy's family once owned a precious violin believed to have been lost forever, Rafael seizes the power of history and discovers a family story like no other."

Apparently, this book was originally self-published and I'm not sure why it didn't get snatched up by a publisher right away! I was drawn in from the very beginning, getting lost in the story of Simon, Rafael, and Daniel, and loving the beauty of the writing and the intensity of the emotion. 

I didn't have any trouble at all with the different time periods, which can occasionally be the case when jumping from one decade to another, and again, the emotional aspects were simply top-notch. I was in tears during much of the story and I was invested in each character very early on. It's one of those books you just don't want to end. My favorite kind! 

It's a heavier read, but beautifully done. 

The rest of the tour schedule can be found here and Julie Thomas can be found on Facebook!


heathertlc said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one - it sounds like an amazing read!

Thanks for being on the tour.

trish said...

Oh my gosh, I really love books that bring out my emotions -- I think those books stay with me longer than any others!

Anna said...

I'll be reading this one soon, so I'm so glad to see you liked it!