Monday, June 17, 2013

The Testing review

Cia is thrilled to be graduating and after being chosen for The Testing, she both terrified and anxious to begin her future. It a position everyone in her life both covets and fears. 

Upon arrival, Cia quickly learns the Testing is unlike anything she could have ever imagined -- and she was right to be scared. She can't trust anyone and must simply believe her intelligence will get her through to the end alive. Right and left both friends and enemies are dropping and she's never quite sure when her turn to fail will come. 

I had a bit of trouble getting into this one, but ending up really enjoying it. With the rise of the dystopian genre over the past few years, every book seems to be compared to The Hunger Games and I did feel like it had a few mirroring qualities. Once Cia began the actual Testing process, I was totally hooked and rooting for this pretty amazing female main character. 

Tomas was probably my least favorite character -- he came across flat and without much emotion. I didn't have the connection with him that I did with Cia and almost didn't care what happened to him in the end. What he lacked though, Cia made up for, because I really did end up loving her character. 

I think I walked away from this one thinking it's a hybrid of The Hunger Games and Divergent. If those two books had a baby, The Testing would be it. I'm absolutely ready for book 2! After a slow start it ended up being a quick read that I was anxious to finish and know what happened with Cia. 

Thank you to Scholastic for the review copy. 


Becky said...

I enjoyed this one too!

Swapna said...

I felt the EXACT SAME WAY - I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a book baby of The Hunger Games and Divergent. And I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel as well!