Thursday, July 11, 2013

Belle Epoque review


I was both appalled and delighted with the concept of this novel. A young girl, Maude, runs away from her home in Brittany when pledged to a frightening man, and sets her sights on Paris. Once in the city, she's forced to take a unique position as the ugly friend to a beautiful woman of society. The idea is that more attention will be on the socialites, making them more attractive, because of the plainness of their "friend." A friend being who is paid quite well to play the part. 

I felt totally immersed in Paris and the time period, losing myself in Maude's story. She's a strong main character who I found myself truly liking from the very beginning. I was absolutely fascinated by the plot and almost couldn't believe what I was reading in those first few scenes. Craziness!
It's rare to find a subject I've not yet read about, but this whole "beauty foil" thing was definitely unique. I loved it!

Everything about the book was well-researched and detailed, making for a great read. Highly recommended! 

Thanks to Random House for the review copy!

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Another teacher and I both loved this one, mainly because it was on such a unique topic, and one we'd never heard about before. Very interesting!

Susan said...

Sounds like a historical, French version of THE DUFF. Same idea. I didn't really like THE DUFF, but this one does sound intriguing. Thanks for the review!