Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Stargazey Point review

As she's mentally and emotionally working through an intense tragedy, Abby Sinclair heads to Stargazey Point to stay with a trio of octogenarians in their plantation house. She's hoping to find a refuge from her life and that's exactly what she finds. No longer a tourist attraction, Stargazey Point has fallen to ruins, leaving the residents scrambling to make money and the residents tempted to sell their homes to developers. 

What I loved most about this beachy read was the beautiful setting. I grew up in Upstate NY, land of lakes, and currently live outside a major metro area, so when an author writes of a beach setting and does it well, as Shelley Noble very much does, I'm immediately sucked in. The descriptions of the town and it's seaside local had me from the very beginning and transported me to Stargazey Point. 

As the protagonist, Abby was intriguing and emotional. She had a depth to her that a lot of characters in "lighter" reads don't necessarily have and her extreme grief was not only evident from the start, but was able to be transferred to me as the reader. 

I absolutely loved the whole plot point about restoring a carousel and Cab's obsession with staying true to what Stargazey Point was all about. He was an excellent character, as well. 

If you still have a beach trip planned this summer, grab this one to throw in your bag. It was a great read!

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for the review copy. Check out the rest of the tour here.


Susan said...

I was just in upstate NY! Now I'm even more excited to read this one :)

heathertlc said...

This DOES sounds like a great beach read - thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks for being on the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.