Monday, August 19, 2013

Journey by Aaron Becker and some weekend tidbits

Whew! It was a fun and crazy weekend! Aaron was amazing and took E with him when he went to spend the weekend at my in-laws and do a run. This left me 3 entire days to myself! Now, the smart me would have planned nothing and had a spontaneous readathon or something amazingly relaxing like that, but instead, I had already agreed to a jam-packed weekend filled with concerts, meetings, and attempting to find a pair of shoes for my wide feet. 

I didn't end up with shoes, but I did go to DCFest, a huge Christian concert featuring 6 great bands (7th row seats and backstage passes too!), had cupcakes with a friend, got a manicure, cleaned my house from top-to-bottom, and attended a benefit concert for a family at our church. If you're interested in their story, they write an amazing blog chronicling the crazy journey they've been on with their daughters. They have two biological girls, two adopted from China with severe medical conditions, and they lost their 3rd biological girl at 39 weeks gestation. It's just heartbreaking, but they're all smiling all the time. A truly beautiful family. 

Finally, when my busy weekend came to a close last night, I was finally able to sit down read through a stack of picture books that had made their way into may house over the past couple of weeks, deciding which would be reviewed. Guys, there are SO MANY great picture books coming out this fall. Just you wait! 

The first I want to talk about though, actually came out in July, and it's easily a favorite of the year. There's been a lot of buzz surrounding this book (a lot of it from me!) and I think it deserves a place on everyone's bookshelf. 

Journey, written and illustrated by Aaron Becker, is a powerful story of imagination. A little girl, bored and lonely, wants desperately for someone to play with her. When she's turned down time after time, she decides to maker her own fun and journey to another world in a special red boat. When captured by an evil emperor after performing an act of kindness, she must rely on kindness in return to make her escape and head for home. 

I love wordless picture books, when done right, with an easy-to-follow story, and this one is illustrated so beautifully that you can't help but fall in love with this little girl's adventure. It's one of those special books that should be on everyone's shelves!

Thank you to Candlewick for the review copy.

1 comment:

Amy Johnson said...

I have been so looking forward to Journey! I'm glad to hear you loved it. I can't wait to read it.