Sunday, August 11, 2013

Some Sunday fun!

I have a confession to make. I'm suffering from blogger burnout. Those who have blogged for years, as I have, know what I'm talking about -- not fun! I love blogging and definitely don't want to stop, however, my life is a lot different now then it was a year or two ago. I don't have nearly as much time to read books and write up reviews, but I love sharing this with you all. I'm searching for new and fun content all the time and this particular one was so much fun to write up. 

Today I read the latest post from  Jamie, one of my very favorite book bloggers. She takes us back to the years of MySpace and all the silly surveys we all filled out and created an A to Z Bookish Survey. I think this is a great way to not only get to know other bloggers, but it's just a fun way to talk about books, without sitting down to write a review. 




Author you've read the most books from: 
According to Goodreads (Go to your account, hit "my books" and on the left side under the shelves you'll see "Most Read Authors.") Jacqueline Winspear is at the top. I'm obsessed with her Maisie Dobbs books, so that makes sense. Closely followed by Shannon Hale and Sarah Dessen. 

Best sequel ever:
Hmm... Loved Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Also loved The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness and The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan. I don't even know if I can pick a favorite.  Probably Potter, because I was more than a little obsessed with them.

Currently Reading:
Race Across the Sky by Derek Sherman. Not in love with it, so not sure how much more I'll read. 


Drink of Choice While Reading:
Coffee. Hot or iced. 


E-Reader or Physical Book:
Definitely physical book. I only have a first generation Nook and I've read maybe 3 books on it. Just don't love it. 


Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School:
Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars.


Glad You Gave This Book a Chance:
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. It turned out to be the first book in one of my favorite series, but typically not a book I would have picked up. I gave it a chance and loved it. 


Hidden Gem of a Book:
After the Leaves Fall by Nicole Baart. It's marketed as adult, but definitely crosses over to YA easily. A great story and the first book in a series.


Important Moment in Your Reading Life:
Moving to DC. I've always been a voracious reader, but moving to this area, with all the local indie stores and book signings has really created a real life reading community for me. Twitter and other online friends are awesome, but there's nothing like the real thing. 


Just Finished:
Gaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard. Local author and a really great book on farming and local food. 


Kinds of Books You Won't Read:
I don't really read romance or sci-fi, but I definitely WON'T read erotica or anything sexually explicit. Just not my thing.


Longest Book You've Read:
Again, according to Goodreads, it's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, coming in at 870 pages.


Major Book Hangover because of: 
The Book Thief. Nothing sparked my interest for a long time after that one. 


Number of Bookcases You Own:
8. For a book-obsessed person like myself, I actually don't have that many books. I only keep what I really, really love, so these shelves also hold picture frames and other pretty things. Might as well pretend I have some sort of home-design style right?


One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I've read all of them multiple times, but that one has seen probably the most rereads. 


Preferred Place to Read:
I have a big, comfy green reading chair that I hardly ever utilize. It's in the den/playroom connected to my kitchen, so as soon as I sit down I can see all the other stuff I should be doing. I'd love to read in that chair more, but in reality reading is bed is what gets the most pages read for me. 


Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:
"That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt."

Reading Regret:
That I never really got into "classics." I've tried, believe me, but I just can't fall in love with Jane Austen or F. Scott Fitzgerald or any of those great writers. I'm know they are great comfort reads for some people and I wish I had that connection with them.


Series You Need to Finish (all the books are out in the series):
Maisie Dobbs. I only have one to go and I'm so sad the experience is almost over. I hope Jacqueline Winspear keeps the series going for a long time. 


Three of Your All-time Favorite Books:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


Unapologetic Fangirl for:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. He doesn't need my help by any means, but I just love that book. 


Very Excited for This Release More Than All the Others:
I'm pretty excited for Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi next year. Also, I'm kinda dying for a new John Green. No word on anything though.


Worst Bookish Habit:
I eat when I read and I often lay my book face down. Only review copies and those I own. No worries to people who lend me books! 


X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your bookshelves and pick the 27th book:
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. One of my faves!


Your Latest Book Purchase:
Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood. Still haven't read it! Must fix that!


ZZZ-snatcher Book (last book that kept you up WAY late): 
The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan. It's not a thriller, but I had to know what happened to the characters before I could contemplate sleep. 

Thanks again, Jamie!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Blogger burnout seems to be going around! I'm glad you found this fun survey -- I enjoyed reading Jamie's answers, but I enjoyed yours more since our reading tastes are so similar. Love John Green, Patrick Ness, Harry Potter ...

Jes Hindley said...

You left us hanging! What is your 3rd favorite book?! Haha