Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This Song Will Save Your Life review

Must-read alert! This is going to be one of those books I'm shoving in everyone's hands, so be warned.


Throughout all of her school years, Elise has always been an outsider, despite trying desperately to fit in. Though snarky in her thoughts and speak, she truly wants nothing more than to have a group of friends to be herself with. She has embarrassed herself more times than she can count attempting to gain friends and she thinks she's a lost cause. 


On one of her regular late night walks, Elise comes across a couple of girls outside of a mysterious warehouse party. They seem to accept her as one of them right away and invite her to the party, where she finds herself in a place she finally belongs. She not only fits in with the girls, but finds a cute boy who is actually interested in her! Pair all of that with Elise finally being able to express her passion in music and her life really begins to look up. 

Seriously friends, despite the seriousness of the bullying and heartbreak Elise experiences this one is laugh-out-loud funny. It's real, honest, and feels like something totally true to the lives of teens. The immense power music has over Elise and her life is evident and, again, something I think a lot of teens will be able to relate to. When I was a teen, up through my mid-20's, music was a huge outlet of emotion for me, as it is for Elise. Sometimes those song writers just get it!

Elise, though frustrating and annoying at times, is so much like a real kid, I think she'll go down as one of my very favorite characters of the year. 

Make sure you pick this one up, if you haven't already. 

Thanks to FSG for the review copy!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, good, I'm glad this one lives up to the hype. I'm really excited to read it now. Thanks for the review!

Lisa said...

I recently read and reviewed this one too, and loved it.