Friday, September 20, 2013

In case you're wondering, this is where I've been

Are any of you members of MOPS International? If you have a preschooler and are able to join a group, I cannot recommend it enough. The short version is that it's a great place to meet new friends, encourage each other, hear speakers on a variety of topics, make fun things, and laugh a lot. Plus, you get a few hours without your kids! 

I started going to the meetings last year and then in the spring, I was asked to be the new coordinator for our local chapter, taking over for an amazing woman whose daughter outgrew the program. I was definitely surprised to have been asked, but definitely felt like I was meant to lead these women. I had no idea how much work was involved though!

Over the summer our leadership team met probably a dozen times, including a day-long retreat, and then in the past few weeks leading up to our first meeting it's been a frenzy to get things ordered, folders made, name tags painted, centerpieces set up, copies made, etc. I've barely read a thing, let alone blogged. 

But, it's all good. I love it. 

Things may change a little here and there. I may not post as often, but really, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, does it? I'll review what I read and in the rest of my time, I'll be serving in a ministry I feel led to be in. A pretty fair trade! 

I thought it was ironic when this book showed up in my mailbox a couple of weeks ago:

Overextended...and Loving Most of It. That pretty much describes me perfectly at this point! Lisa Harper talks about how a lot of us like to burn the candle at both ends, but actually love it that way. We aren't the ones complaining that our schedules are too full. 

She weaves funny stories about her own life with Biblical knowledge and expresses how being pulled in every direction -- emotionally AND physically can actually be a blessing. I really liked her approach and her writing style and this one was the perfect quick read for me. 

The stories in the book will especially appeal to moms looking to adopt or going through the adoption process, but I'm not and I still enjoyed it and felt it was relevant. 


Lisa said...

it sounds like a great fit for you, I hope you love it. (I had a very disappointing mops experience here, but I think it was just the local group.)

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I read a Lisa Harper book a couple years ago based on your suggestion on your blog and I loved so I am for sure checking this one out! :)