Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Clockwork Scarab review

Evaline Stoker comes from a long line of famous vampire hunters and Mina Holmes is the niece of the famous Sherlock. These young women have been gifted talents necessary to continue the family businesses, yet both struggle with their tasks. Evaline can't stand the sight of blood and Mina is totally awkward in social situations and rather bossy. 

These girls are thrown together, on a mission to figure out why society girls are disappearing and committing suicide. An unlikely pair, this combination definitely provides humor along with the mystery. 

Oh and did I mention the time traveling hottie? There's one of those too. 

2 things bothered me about this book, so let's get those out of the way first, shall we? It's definitely a plot-driven novel. Totally fine with that, except the characters really fell flat for me. I've always preferred books that have a character-driven focus, so it could totally be personal preference, but both Mina and Evaline had the chance to be deep characters -- laced with humor -- and neither really were. I felt as if they were constantly just being described, rather than actually living out the roles the author created for them. 

I also didn't care for the inclusion of the time-traveling Dylan. I felt his part of the story was unnecessary and didn't add to the plot for me. It was almost annoying when he was having to describe his smartphone or when Mina became fascinated with his rubber tennis shoes. I thought the main characters being related to the Stoker and Holmes lines was enough of a punch and made for fun mystery reading. 

Those things aside, I really did enjoy the story. Told in alternating points of view, we were able to see exactly what Evaline and Mina were thinking about each situation in turn, though Evaline was definitely overshadowed much of the time. 

The mystery elements were interesting and the link to Egyptian culture was cool. I'll give the 2nd book in the series a try when it comes out, though I do hope the time traveling portion is done!

No comments: