Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Books I've been loving

As I mentioned last week, I've been really busy. Life has turned into a whirlwind of crazy and I'm loving every minute of it -- except that I can't blog nearly as much. I miss blogging, but I definitely AM reading in those few spare moments a day. Laundry is suffering, but I can live with that.

I've done these quick review posts before, but just as a reminder, I'm not giving synopsis, so if you've been in the dark on some of these titles, I've included a Goodreads link to each one, so you can find a plot description.

Hopefully you'll find something that peaks your interest!


Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo

I've loved every book Kate DiCamillo has written and this one was just as adorable. A quirky little girl having a squirrel for a best friend is fun enough, but make that squirrel write poetry and have superpowers and you have a hysterically charming story. The illustrations are fabulous, done by K.G. Campbell, and I was definitely left wanting more of this pair.

I think kids who love a little bit of strange will be eating this one up!




Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini

I love historical fiction and I especially enjoy fictionalized accounts of historical women, so this story had me at the description. Though all the characters were written in a way that made them come to life, Elizabeth Keckly's actually made me want to know more about her story and how much of it was true. Everyone knows about the Lincoln's, though maybe not from this angle, but Keckly was a fresh face. 

I can't imagine having inside knowledge on someone as important to society as Mary Todd Lincoln and I enjoyed Chiaverini's spin on it. 




The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Oh, Maggie. You can WRITE. Such beautiful words on these pages. The first book in the series, The Raven Boys was great, but this one went to a whole other level with depth of the characters. I loved the multiple perspectives and was really impressed with how much we actually get from each character. As someone who loves character-driven books, I was definitely into it. 

There are so many layers to this books, it seems I was constantly uncovering something new and I loved that. I can't wait for the 3rd book!





Living with Jackie Chan by Jo Knowles

I'm quite obviously not a guy, but I think the Josh's emotions were spot-on. The writing was beautiful and intriguing and Josh was a great main character. He was hurting from his decisions and his loss, yet didn't want to exhibit those feelings to the world. He just wanted to be alone with his thoughts. The secondary characters were perfectly done and the plot was relevant. One of my favorites this year. 





Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

Terrifying. Do I think this could happen? Absolutely. I think the realistic nature of a lack of water leading to a widespread devastation is what really drew me into the plot. Scary stuff! McGinnis helps us to build a world that we, as readers, could definitely imagine happening.

Lynn was a tough character to like and I had trouble connecting with her, but the actual story was incredibly intriguing. Dystopian fiction has taken over YA, but this one was fresh and so realistic that I find myself really into the story and much more appreciative of my water supply.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I felt the same way about NOT A DROP TO DRINK, although I didn't have as much trouble relating to the main character (What does that say about me? Uh oh ...). The novel just felt WAY too real.

I just got the DiCamillo book in the mail and can't wait to read it!