Monday, October 28, 2013

Fallout by Todd Strasser


In 1962, when the United States was basically freaking out about the possibility of a nuclear war, Scott's dad builds a bomb shelter in the backyard and stocks it with supplies to keep his family alive. With his family the talk of the neighborhood, Scott is slightly embarrassed of all the attention, but also a little apprehensive. Though the idea of a bomb shelter is cool and exciting, the idea
of actually having to use it is scary.

The shelter is given the ultimate test when the family is forced to use it. As their neighbors fight and beg for space in the shelter too, it becomes overcrowded and they quickly run out of the supplies Scott's dad chose to sustain his family of four. 

I loved the idea of this book. I've always been curious to know what it would be like to actually spend in a shelter like this and what people thought of those that used their yards as a place to build one. The historical aspects were woven into the plot very nicely and I found myself getting an excellent refresher on the crisis with Russia. It's not a time period I've spent much time reading about, so I really enjoyed that part. 

I can see this being a great read a loud for middle or high school teachers to use in their classroom, expanding upon a history lesson. The dialogue was great -- relatable for the age the book is marketed towards -- and the friendships were realistic. 

Overall, a solid read. 

Thanks to Candlewick for the review copy!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, I'm glad this one is good! I've had it on my shelf for awhile, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll have to make sure I get to it soon.

Lisa said...

The house I grew up in had a fallout shelter. It smelled funny. We went in it during tornados but we never took food or anything so no idea how we'd have actually survived. You have to crawl through this tiny door, so there wasn't furniture or anything in there..